Patterns, Anyone?



For this week's assignment we were asked to create a 2D pattern using inspiration from patterns we found in our everyday lives. I chose to look at items like furniture.









I tried to use similar motifs from the bowl, along with something more playful like the first chair above. The result was what I'm calling a "petal". I drew the curves with the HandleCrv tool and then drew the circles individually. I tried to use Array but I wanted different sizes. What's the best way to do this?









Then I added a some more petals to create a pinwheel, along with more circles to fill in some gaps.






After duplicating and flipping my pinwheel, I created some abstract forms to fill in the centre. When I created the first piece for the centre, I flipped it and it wouldn't fit. I realized this had to do with how I mirrored the two pinwheels. I had to flip the pinwheel on the same line as the centre piece.







Next I started to add colour. I also realized that I had made planar surfaces instead of hatches, so I fixed that.







Once I was happy with the colours, I rotated more pinwheels into a wreath. I probably could have been done there but thought I should add something to the centre.




And here's the finished piece! I thought the neon colours would look cool with a black background :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Time with Grasshopper

Parametric (WEIRD) Furniture Concepts